Tuesday, June 26, 2007

I Heart Mollusk NY

Hard to believe that around this time yesterday I was stumbling around Williamsburg, Brooklyn looking for the new Mollusk Surf Shop. But I was. And I found it perched on a corner loading dock near the Hudson River, covered in bright graffiti. I have to say that visiting the little shop was one of my favorite parts of my New York trip. Tyler and John from Mollusk SF were there helping Mike open the East Coast version of their legendary store. We ate shaved ice from a street vendor and talked surf (or lack of surf) shooting the breeze about boards and surf blogging. I was really happy to find out that some New Yorkers read my blog. Then I bought a t-shirt and a copy of Glass Love and headed around the corner to joint called Surf Bar (that actually has sand on the ground) where Gee and I grabbed Red Stripes in the sun. A perfect way to transition from the city back to the surf here in Oregon.

Mollusk New York is located on the corner of Metropolitan Avenue and River Street in Brooklyn. Stop by for their opening party July 7. Thanks to downtownfb for the hot tip...

The National - Mistaken for Strangers

13 comments:

twin said...

Glass Love has been on my viewing list for quite awhile now. How is it....?

ras said...

Kidman's Glass Love and Litmus are easily the best films about people and surfing available at the moment.

Totor said...

OH!!! You're so right!!!!

Chum said...

Truth be told, I've been so busy since I got home from the city that I haven't been able to watch Glass Love yet. But Litmus is my fave surf movie ever.

Kim said...

Sweet! Mollusk in SF is one of my favorite surf shops! I didn't even know they were opening a NY version. Stoked that you got to check it out!

G said...

Great pic of the store front. To think some crazy, Puerto Rican, hoochie mama with green contacts led us straight to it. Wish the one T fit. Oh well.

surferbrat said...

I love Glass Love. The opening sequence with Daize Shayne longboarding to Cat Power's I Found a Reason is really beautiful...once of my favorite sequences ever. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

but you get really weak small dribble surf and you guys suck at surfing barrels.

Bubbie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bubbie said...

Hey Chum
Thanks for the kind words and post! We just started a blog for the goings on about our shop. It's shipwormandgribble.blogspot.com
Hope you're getting some waves out there!

Anonymous said...

glad you were able to make it out there. it's still on my GTD radar. i'm playing fish out of water in philadelphia these days, but i've been keeping my eye on puddles like mollusk to keep the fins wet. planning to drop by on my next visit to the apple. i convinced my brother picked up the 5'9" manny quad two weeks ago. i'm hoping to be there for the baptism. family quivers rule.

Chum said...

Dude!

Christopher! Did I screw up and call you Mark?

Let me know...

Chum-ball

Chum said...

I mean Mike...