Saturday, September 13, 2008

Water, Water Everywhere...






Los Angeles. Tuesday. As we sped up PCH from LAX toward Malibu for a voice-over session (details to come), I noticed something crazy... There were waves everywhere. Guys were bobbing in the lineup at what seemed like every bend in the road between Santa Monica and the 'Bu.

From the cliff-side house where the sound studio was, I had a perfect view of Malibu and the pier. Waves seemed to be rolling in with amazing consistency. We stayed in Santa Monica that night and over drinks I noticed big lines smashing the shore near the the boardwalk there.

Wednesday morning. Our call for the music video shoot was at 6am. This time we were in Marina Del Rey, and again, explosions of whitewater blasted above the rise of sand between the beach house where we were shooting and the Pacific. The day went really late, and as the sun set, I noticed guys catching windblown lefts off a jetty on the south side of the beach. Mist from the breakers chilled our extras during the golden hour.

The next morning I was beat. Got in a plane and flew back to Oregon. Mission accomplished. But zero waves surfed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I lived in LA I surfed just south of the Santa Monica pier on mixed up swells and had some fun uncrowded days. There are miles of waves in LA and everyone is too busy to surf them. I have also had bigger dicks at Short Sands dropping in than an overcrowded LA beach. That said, it sucks looking at the highway while you are surfing.

pushingtide said...

You couldn't fit in at least a 5am-6am sesh Sis? I woulda brought down a homemade for an Oregon visitor. C'mon. Booooo.

pushingtide said...

Especially on those fun swell days you were in town!

Chum said...

I know... I know... Couldn't pull it.